Thursday, September 10, 2009

Green . . . Oh wow.

Sat, Sept 5, 2009 2:30 am
Normally I write my book lover comments blog after I’ve read the book. But at the moment, I feel the need to write my comments for Green as I read. I will not give anything away, but in keeping with my blog title, I will give my comments.

I am currently reading Ted Dekker’s Green. For those that may not know what I’m talking about, Green is book Zero of the Circle Series, the other books being Black, Red, and White. They say you can read Green first or last. At the moment, I recommend last. If my opinion on this changes while I read I’ll be sure to let you know. These books follow Thomas Hunter as he passes between two realities, and the battles in each.
Go here to check out Black, Red, White, and other books by Ted Dekker.
First let me tell you what I’ve gathered about Mr. Dekker’s writing style. Many, if not all in some round about way, of his books are connected—even if they’re not part of a series. Questions you have about one book may be answered in any of his twenty-something published books or in the books he is/will be publishing. I’ve said many times, a journey through Ted’s mind would be the most spectacular thing in finding out if even he can answer the questions I still have regarding his novels.

Now on to my comments about Green thus far:
From chapter 0--yes there is a chapter 0 and no, it’s not the prologue--there is a heaviness that gets deeper as the first few chapters progress. Maybe it’s just me. Honestly, I had to set down the book and mull on the thoughts running through my head after I finished the first three chapters. It was a mix of knowing this is going to lead to something big in the story and a bit of a challenge to me in my personal life. I hope that doesn’t go unnoticed by other readers.

Then came one of his infamous connections. It’s one that should be in the back of his readers’ minds as they’ve progressed through his books, but at the same time, it’s like “OH! You mean it’s really gonna happen?! Really?! Wow!” My exact words upon discovering this connection were “Holy snot!” I know snot is probably far from holy, but there are no words to describe this.

And already the emotion of this book is high. It’s brought tears to my eyes and heaviness to my heart, pushing more and more to the forefront of my mind a challenge to me in my personal life. I have no idea where this story is going, but I know I will have a lot of soul searching during and after I finish this book.

10:15 pm
Less than a day and only a few chapters later . . . I want to dance. Green has within its covers a story that splendidly builds up each emotion that is felt. I’ve been brought to tears, outraged, and most recently filled with joy that caused me to dance around my room. And I’m not even halfway through. Mr. Dekker, should you read this, the story in Green has captured my heart.

September 10, 2009 9:00 pm
I just finished Green. First of all, let me say, I can see this as the beginning of the Circle or the end. Or heck, read it at the beginning and the end. Yeah, that sounds like the best bet . . .
Now, let me tell you what I think of this book.

Green captured my heart early on, and kept it all throughout the story. It brought me to tears numerous times, filled me with joy, made me want to dance and shout, and even made me wonder. And most of all, it made me reflect on myself and my life. And that, my friends, is why I love great stories. The greatest of stories isn’t just a piece of fiction that takes your mind from your own world to the one within its pages. It is the story that makes you think and reflect on things in your life, that bring you to a point of decision and help you to discover truth. Those, my friends, are the greatest stories. And Green, as well as the other Circle Series books, is just such a story.

And if you would like to check out the Ebook of Black, the first WRITTEN book of the Circle Series, go here: Black Ebook and enter the Forest Guard number 5273

No comments: