Saturday, December 13, 2008

Two Things I Love

Reading and writing.

So I bought a new book. Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis. It's the first of his space trilogy. I have yet to read it and I've had it for over a week. Usually by now I would be done with it, but with how busy this week has been, I probably won't get to it until after Monday.

Now onto writing. I've edited the first six chapters of my story, and even added a new beginning. I think it works well with what the story needs to accomplish. I haven't had much time to edit this week though . . . once again, been busy and won't be able to do much until after Monday.

And now something I did last week. I got to talk to an author over the computer just a little last week. It was great. "Who?" you ask. Robert Liparulo.

I asked him if his gruesome scenes make him cringe. He said that they do, but he has to do research for them so he gets to warm up to them first, a luxury the reader doesn't have.

Haha. No kidding.

I told him about my friends' reactions to the first chapter of Germ. He said that first chapter is always the kicker. He had an "old lady book club" (his words not mine) choose Germ, and he got an email after they read the first chapter. He told them if they could get through the first chapter the rest would be fine. He said he later got emails from them saying how they loved the book.

That was cool. It was really nice that he took the time to answer me.

And if you read this, THANKS!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know all about being busy! I have a rather long to-do list right now, but I haven't been around to get much of it done! (Though I did read the first bit of your story.)

That's really neat talking with an author. I haven't read any of his books (at least not yet). I've heard they're good. Perhaps I shall try the library.

Oi, I totally forgot about this site! It's just that I don't do much on blogspot, and it's not like xanga telling you when people update, which doesn't help my memory. XD I shall try to remember to check back more often!