Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Christmas Gifts

So to me books for Christmas are like toys for kids. I love it. I love reaching into a bag and pulling out some great title I know I’ll just love. Or seeing the square wrapped gift and wondering just what title will appear when I pull away the wrapping.

This year I got four books. But I knew about all of them because I was the one that had to place the order on Amazon. Heh heh.

Two of the books I received are fiction. You see, I recently bought Out of Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. It’s the first of a trilogy so I wanted the other two. And I got them. Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. I am looking forward to reading them and seeing where it takes me and the interesting Dr. Ransom. I’ve read the first few pages of Out of Silent Planet, and I must say, it certainly appears to be a good read.

The other two books I received are the ones I was recommended by the literary agent. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and Plot & Structure. The books arrived a few days before Christmas, and I was given the great pleasure of picking one book to have then. I chose Self-Editing. I’ve read and highlighted and noted the first three chapters. I must say, I’m looking forward to all the editing I’ll be doing to my story after I finish this book. And I can guarantee that I will be reading this book numerous times within my life. But it’s definitely not something for everyone. If you’re not interested in writing, no need to read it. Haha.

I will tell you more about the books as I read them. I’m not sure where I’ll start. I may put Self-Editing to the side so I can get the Lewis trilogy out of the way before I plunge into Self-Editing and Plot & Structure since I want those to be fresh on my mind when I go back to edit my own story.

Either way, you’ll hear about what I’m reading soon.

No comments: