Saturday, October 3, 2009

Jenna Lucado, Redefining Beautiful: What God Sees When God Sees You.


I saw this book on the review list, and knew I had to read it. Talk about the right choice.

So what is Redefining Beautiful? This book for girls is about learning what beauty is from God’s perspective. Jenna changes the focus from looking in the mirror, to looking at what God, our heavenly Father, sees when He looks at us. As she talks about each girl’s personal style, it’s not about just the outside appearance; it’s about the inside, about our attitudes, our quirks, how we view others, how we view ourselves and why we view ourselves that way. Then she takes that and compares it to what is pleasing to God.

When I ordered this book, I wondered: Would Jenna be able to relate it to girls like me, the girls without earthly fathers to help us to relate to God? And I was pleased with the answer. She does a great job in relating to girls with good dads, not so good dads, and absent dads. She uses her own story, stories from the Bible, and the stories of others to give examples. She asks questions, and then gives room for answers, which really helps in applying the things she talks about in a person’s life.

This book is something I recommend every girl read, no matter her age. It says it’s for teens, and that’s great--but I’m a young adult, and this book really touched me as well.

No comments: